Lead, Retrieve, & Setting the Hook
- Lead the fish
- Let fly sink to bottom
- When fish gets within view of fly (3 – 4 feet away)
- Short strip to get fish’s attention. Let it sit. Repeat.
- Guide: “Okay, leave the fly there. Let it sink. Now short strip. Another short. Long strip. Let it sink. Short strip. He’s on.”
This is the strip/pause retrieve imitating a shrimp.
- A dropping fly will usually result in a take
- If fish goes nose-down in the vicinity of your fly, he’s taking it
- Be calm! Don’t raise your rod! Just continue with a slow steady strip. If he’s taken the fly, you’ll feel resistance. This gradual pulling against the resistance will set the hook
- If the fish didn’t take the fly, continue strip/pause retrieve