Villa Maria is the second of Nervous Waters’ fine lodges on the Rio Grande. With 10 years of fabulous success at Kau Tapen, and with the demand for sea-trout fishing increasing, the Carreras brothers extended their fishing program by creating Villa Maria Lodge in 1996. Villa Maria water is a 15 kilometer stretch of the Rio Grande, directly below Kau Tapen’s lowest pools. Here, the Rio Grande flows through the enormous Estancia Jose Menendez. This section of the river has proven to be extremely productive water in recent years. This far downriver, most of the fish taken are dime-bright, fresh from the salt and exceptional fighters.
A charming 1920’s vintage house in the heart of the Estancia complex, was completely remodeled into a very comfortable lodge. Originally, this was to accommodate 4 rods, but since has been expanded to comfortably house 6 rods. Villa Maria has an elegant and warm, old world ambiance which appeals to small, intact groups as well as individual anglers. The service, amenities and cuisine are of the highest level.
Each morning, guests depart the lodge after breakfast to the fishing areas (20 – 30 minutes in comfortable 4WD RV’s). At 1:00 pm, anglers will converge at the lovely new “Fishing House”, a spectacular little lodge in it’s own right, overlooking the river. The Fishing House has a comfortable living room/dining area, a deck with picnic table and full barbeque pit for traditional asados, and three comfortable double bedrooms for siesta. The afternoon/evening fishing hours depend on the time of year; later during the longer days of December and January than in February and March. At dark, guests return to the main lodge at the Estancia complex for cocktails and dinner.
The Rio Grande, in the Villa Maria stretch, is larger water than at Kau Tapen upstream. The river has less meander here and the pools are wider and longer here, favoring more confident casters. While good casters can cover the pools comfortably with a single-handed rod, this is perfect water for the efficiency of double-handed rods. As with the upriver pools, fly and line choice is a function of water levels and temperatures. During periods of lower water and warmer temperatures. Floating lines and small flies (and often dry flies) are the norm. During higher or colder water temperatures, larger flies and sinking tips are required. The angler armed with a 12 – 14 foot double-hander with a Rio Scandi Versatip or Skagit line system with the interchangeable heads will be well equipped for all conditions.
Our Services are Free!
Contact us for Seasonal Discounts, Special Offers or Promotional Pricing
Villa Maria 2021 Rates
Season 2021: January 1 – April 2, 2021
January 1 – 8 $ 9,950 *
January 8 – March 5 $ 10,950 *
March 5 – 12 $ 9,950 *
March 12 – 19 $ 8,950 *
March 19 – 26 $ 7,950
March 26 – April 2 $ 6,950
Rates are based on 7 nights ad 6 days fishing, and include single room and shared guide.
Prices are in USD
Non-fisher rate: $650 per night
* Friday to Friday weeks, within January 3 and March 13 include:
- 1 night at Delta Eco Lodge (shared rooms), with one day of guided dorado fishing (subject to availability; first-come first-take basis) with lunch, dinner and breakfast included – open bar.
Does not includes transfer Ezeiza (EZE) Intl. Airport to Marina – Marina to Aeroparque (AEP) Domestic Airport (based on 2 pax min. at $ 150 p/person)
- Included: Transfer from Rio Grande Airport to the lodge, Lodging, Meals, all wines, beer, and local spirits at the Lodge, Professional guide services & loaner fishing equipment (Rods, reels & Lines).
- Not included: Gratuities for guides and house staff, international and domestic airfares, fishing license ($495 approx. per person), laundry service and day-room ($200 p/ person) based on single occupancy at Rio Grande Hotel on arrival date to Río Grande.
- Payment terms: A deposit of 50% confirms a reservation. Deposits are non-refundable, unless client replacement is found. Final payment is due 60 days prior to departure. At this point, participants are responsible for total land costs and no refunds will be made for unused land transportation, accommodations, or included meals.
*Prices are in USD
Our recommendations about tackle, flies, clothing and accessories you might want to bring will be sent to you upon request. The lodge will provide back-up tackle if yours doesn’t arrive. However, guests are expected to bring their own tackle and flies. Flies and tackle are available for sale at the lodge.
Villa Maria operates at near, if not 100% capacity January through March, and enjoy nearly a 90% rate of re-booking. The demand for this incredible sea-run brown trout fishing is extremely high. Some prime spaces however are still available we encourage anglers to call as early as possible to try to secure the best available dates.